Jump to Navigation
Scottsdale Grandparents' Rights Attorneys

Petitioning the Court for Grandparent Visitation

Parents are not obligated to let grandparents spend time with their children. If the parents are in agreement in denying access, Grandma and Grandpa have little recourse.

However, if grandparents are abruptly cut off from an established relationship, as when parents divorce, the courts may step in to grant formal visitation rights. The burden is on the grandparents to show that visitation is in the best interests of the grandchildren, and that is where the accomplished lawyers of Childers & Huey PLC can help.

If you have been denied visitation with your grandkids, call our Scottsdale firm at 480-624-2776 to arrange an appointment to discuss your rights and legal remedies. Bruce Childers is a board-certified family law specialist and he and law partner Joseph Huey have more than 60 years of combined legal experience.

Arizona Grandparents' Visitation Rights Lawyers

The common scenario is a divorce or death of one parent, after which the custodial parent denies visits to the in-law grandparents. Our attorneys can help grandparents on either side of the family petition in family court for access.

The court will determine if resumed visitation is in the best interests of the child:

  • Was there an established relationship with the grandchild?
  • Did the grandmother and/or grandfather play a significant role in the child's life, such as regular time with the child or providing child care?
  • Is the child harmed by being cut off from the grandparents?
  • Was there any legitimate reason why grandparents were denied access?

If the noncustodial parent has visitation, the court may order grandparent visitation to be carved out of that parent's parenting time. In other cases, the court may award a separate scheduled visitation for grandparents.

We also handle third-party petitions for custody by grandparents or other relatives who are concerned about the welfare of a child.

Scottsdale Grandparents' Rights Lawyers

Grandparents' rights are never automatic. A petition for visitation requires careful documentation and courtroom skill to convince the court to override a parent's objections. The experienced trial lawyers of Childers & Huey are up to the task. Please call our office at 480-624-2776 today or contact us online to schedule an appointment about grandchild visitation.